Homemade Chicken Jerky (or, Aren’t We All Tired of These Recalls?)
in chicken jerky / China / dog treats / homemade / recall by Sandy Kempton February 1, 2013
In the light of yet ANOTHER recall notice concerning treats made from chicken imported from China, we thought it would be a good idea to research how hard it would be to make our own. This looks easy! My dog Jazz (below) has agreed to be the taste tester.
Chicken Breast Fillet
- Preheat oven to 200° F
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Rinse off chicken breast and remove any fat.
- Slice the chicken with the grain. This will help make the jerky even chewier for your dog. The slices should be very thin, about 1/8″ to 1/4″ thickness.
- Place the strips on the baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 2 hours (see note below).
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack until completely cool.
- Cut strips into bite sized pieces.
Note: The baking times will vary due to difference in ovens, temperatures and meat size. Your jerky treats should be firm and dry, not at all soft or spongy. It is safer to go a little extra dry and firm than for the meat to be underdone.
Jazz will let you know if they’re any good.